Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Now what?

The next item I'm going to cross off the list is (probably) going to be #39: Attempt NaNoWriMo at least once. For those of you who have no idea what this means, which is probably the majority of you (:P), let me explain.

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It takes place every November, and it's set up like a contest with no prizes. Basically, you have from 1 November until midnight on 30 November to write a novel of 50,000 words or more. There are no judges and no prizes...it's really just a way to get your creative juices flowing and write with abandon. You aren't supposed to edit for the entire month, and the only person who actually reads it is you. The manuscript is scrambled for protection and robots count the number of words to make sure you have enough. The whole thing is based on the honor system, but in my opinion, truly dedicated writers are proud of their craft and would take the challenge very seriously.

I have three Novembers over the course of my 1001 days. Most of you already know that next November is out for me, what with everything else that will be going on at that time. :) I want to make sure that I actually get to complete a novel at least one of the times that I try it, so I'm going to do it this November. It can count as a test run if I fail, and at least I'll be able to cross #39 off my list, but I'm pretty confident that I can crank something awesome out in a month. I've found lately that my creativity has been a little stifled, and I desperately need to get back to self-expression. It's a huge stress reliever for me, and I miss it.

The next three weeks will be spent brainstorming and outlining in an effort to get ready for NaNoWriMo. I've had an idea in my head for a long time, and I wrote the basic outline in a notebook after dreaming about it. I just haven't really done anything else with it. The rules of NaNoWriMo say that you can't use any prose or poetry you've already written...everything has to be original, but outlines are ok. You can bet that I'm going to have a spectacular outline ready by the time 1 November rolls around so that all I have to do is sit down and go to it! :D

Wish me luck!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment